It’s been a little over three years since The Shipment came – the boxes that held my new Myrehed Combination Shaft and Single Unit Drawloom and loom extension. Three years since I inaugurated the set-up with dragon placemats, followed by seasons wall hangings, barns, and most recently orchid bookmarks.
All this time, the ground shafts operated as a counterbalance set-up because the existing countermarche did not fit within the drawloom frame. I was okay with counterbalance, but I really missed the stability and flexibility of countermarche weaving. I dreamed of adapting the countermarche to fit the drawloom.
This week it finally happened.
I knew I wasn’t going to get this done without some help and I have to give a lot of credit to my Dear Husband. He knows I am a “hasty bear” with woodworking projects and I don’t always see how things could possibly be “that difficult”. He thinks ahead and sees challenges in my enthusiastic plans. He is more methodical – measure twice, cut once.
So he suggested, then stated, then insisted, that we make new jacks the shorter length rather than just cut the existing jacks shorter. He didn’t want to ruin pieces that couldn’t be replaced. I thought we could do it, but accepted his advice. Good thing.
He also said it would be next to impossible to drill the upright holes straight without a drill press. We weren’t going to buy a drill press for just one project, but we did find an affordable drill guide. Then off to the lumber store for ½” x 1 ½” wood. Home again, we measured, cut, — and lo and behold, I mismeasured one of them. Back to the lumber store for one more piece.
Next came the drilling. We had to drill a new pivot bolt hole in the countermarche frame to center the shorter jacks. Each jack needed a pivot hole in the center, two holes on either upright end for the cords, and a locking pin hole. I wanted to use the existing locking pin holes in the frame to avoid drilling into the frame more than needed.
This is where I so appreciated my husband’s insistence on making new jacks. We measured, measured again, positioned, lined up, held breath, and started drilling. I won’t show the holes; some are not very pretty. Even with the drill guide, drilling straight, centered holes on the upright edge of a ½” board is not easy! And as carefully as we measured, when all the new jacks were bolted into place, the locking pin holes did not line up close enough to get the pin through. After some rearranging and filing, the locking pins are in place.
As I was lining up holes and bolts, I hoped that the shortened jacks would indeed fit between the draw bridge frame once we got it all put together. And yes, they do fit–and move freely.
Now, thanks to my Dear Husband, the countermarche sits atop the loom, under the draw bridge, awaiting new warps. My mind is working.
Beth Rentsch said:
Thank you Jean for this information. It is an expensive decision to buy a combination drawloom attachment, especially for a wide width loom and I have been worrying about my horizontal ten shaft jack length – are they going to be too long? I too have a very skilled woodworking husband, so this gives me confidence moving forward. Can’t wait to see what you decide to weave.
Yes, the horizontal countermarch jacks, at least those on my 47″ Glimakra, are about 3 1/4″ too long. The Myrehed instructions say that they can’t be more than 86 cm wide for clearance. The length wasn’t as difficult to calculate as were the holes. And of course the existing holes are all in metric, so drill bit sizes had to be approximated. But it is all doable, especially for someone who is familiar with woodworking.
Beth Rentsch said:
My jacks are 62 cm wide on each side. I am wondering if you mean the left jacks plus the right jacks together can’t be more than 86 cm wide. If so, mine are way too long. I have a 63” wide loom.
My loom is 47″ wide. The jack measurement is for the Myrehhed drawbridge that fits that width and does include both left and right jacks. Because your loom is wider, I assume the draw bridge will be designed to fit that width. The Myrehhed assembly instructions should give a measurement for a horizontal countermarche for your size loom.
I am wondering about how you made the countermarch frame for your loom.I recenlty got myself a second hand 150cm Glimakra loom with a counterbalance step-up but since I learnt on a countermarch the balance set up system has been quite hard to get my head around.Hope you can help
Hi Elna, My loom also is second hand, but it came with the horizontal countermarche already installed. When I added the Myrehed drawloom frame to it, the original countermarche jacks were too long to clear the drawloom frame, so I switched to counterbalance until I could adapt the countermarche. To do that I only had to replace the jacks with shorter ones; the frame itself fit as it was. If you need to add the whole countermarche unit, frame and all, purchasing a ready-made frame may be easiest. And you may want to investigate both the vertical and horizontal versions, depending on what you plan to weave. If you are interested in drawloom weaving, the Myrehed drawloom frame works better with vertical countermarche.